Saturday, October 8, 2011

FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

I LOVE FOOD!

Baking and pastry making is up there with my favorite pass-times. In case you haven't noticed. I've been doing lots of research and experimenting lately, so I thought I'd write a mini-blog.
Today I made Madeleines for the first time:  by hand. Lesson? Huge mistake. These little shell-babies are the definition of fragile, and I most definitely over-worked the batter. And now my biceps are hella massive. Actually just my whisking arm. Thankfully, I know a non-vegan out there who will eat just about anything, even eff-ed up Madeleines. For a first attempt at this French masterpiece, they weren't that bad.
I have been reading a baking book called Baking with Julia, filled with recipes of bakers and pastry chefs who worked with Julia Child. The book is AWESOME, some of the stuff is very complicated and absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to master EVERYTHING. Kind of an over-achiever.

I also made Peach-Blackberry Upside-Down cake (vegan!!) ------------------>
This was crazy fun! and CRAZY MESSY! It totally exploded all over my oven, which then had to self-clean before I could bake anything more. But it was delicious.

Last night, for a dinner, I made chocolate cake with coffee ganache (supposed to be 2 layered, but it slipped off... don't know what happened) and a sugarless, flourless, berry tart. The crust was made with walnuts, almonds, Earthbalance and dates! delish! and the berry part was strawberries and blackberries, lemon juice, cornstarch, and date sugar. and it worked!! NO SUGAR.

And along with the Madeleines today, I made savory muffins with sweet potato, yam, red onion, spicy, rosemary, and pumpkin seeds. oh and feta cheese... hella not vegan. hella good.

<------ And I just made eggplant borekas. Some vegan out there calls them "Jewish hot pockets." I resent this.

Tomorrow:  fauxnana bread (vegan banana bread without sugar)
This blog is terribly jumbled... I've had a weird day. Sorry about that.
Look how cute my kitty is!
Now I'm off.

No comments:

Post a Comment