Friday, October 14, 2011

I need to be somewhere at 10 am tomorrow.

Hey kids,

it's 1 am. I have an appointment at Elixir Salon tomorrow morning at 10 am with the wonderful and talented KC Lutes. I am not even close to tired. and I am one of those "bloggers" now so, here we are.

My "Pastry Chef Kitchen" isn't quite done yet, so I've been doing research and some experimenting in my own kitchen. For some reason this week, my other job (I'm one of those multiple-job people now too) has been busy, so I am feeling the weight of pastry-pressure all over my body. Time for a massage, really, but I have no time (more importantly no justification for spending that kind of dough, pun intended).

There is a stack of baking books about two feet high on my coffee table, plus a couple sprinkled throughout my apartment, and even one in my car that I would be reading right now if it were not so far away. Lots to look at. I have a few plans for the weekend though (meaning Saturday):

Popovers (savory?)
Peanut Butter - Banana sugarless cookies (for weird healthy people)
Fruit Tart  / Galette (all butter?)
Herb-Infused Upside-Down Cake
Savory Scones
Custard? or Creme Anglaise?  

Obviously, all of this won't happen. What will happen is I will sleep WAY too late on Saturday, and feel weird for the rest of the day. This happens pretty much every week.

Since no one reads this blog, I am about to admit something. I am turning into quite the pastry snob (really hard to believe, I know). I went into my usual spot for coffee one morning, and decided that, since I am a Pastry Chef now, I should try tons of interesting pastries and compare and all that. So I bought a savory scone (not vegan) from my coffee spot. This place is pretty snobby; they have awesome coffee and these said pastries are rumored to be pretty fantastic.

Umm, not so much. Granted, I haven't had a non-vegan scone in quite some time, and the texture was certainly there. But the entire scone tasted like egg. There must have been too much egg-wash that dripped to the bottom because the underbelly was too close to burnt. And too salty. The salt wouldn't have bothered me so much if it hadn't just tasted like eating an egg shaped like a scone.
SNOB. Yea, I know. But it's my profession now, okay? It's out of necessity, and it feels awesome.

And since we are all here, I'd like to discuss a few things: first, I clearly am not a very good vegan. I actually feel awful about it, have shed some serious tears, but I am taking these steps toward a future that I actually want, and crave, and look forward to. All those creatures out there are suffering so that one day I may be able to have real "Pythagorean Pastries". Second, with that in mind, this is clearly no longer a vegan baking blog, so sorry about that. Third, next time I promise I will leave some recipes here for the rest of the world. Right now, this is ranting and snobbery. It happens.

Still not tired, but I need to quit while I'm ahead. 

1 comment: